Article 32 of Law 43/1979 states that:
- An executive council shall be formed in each governorate.
- It will be headed by:
- The assistants of the governor.
- Leaders of Local Units.
- Secretary General of the governorate, who shall be the secretary of the council.
Article 188 of the new Egyptian constitution states that:
Every Local Unit shall elect a Local Council by direct, secret ballot for a term of four years. Representatives from the executive apparatus of the Local Unit shall form part of the Council but have no counted vote. Every Council elects its President and Deputy from among its elected members. Conditions and procedures for nomination and election are regulated by law.
Article 33 of the Law 43/1979 lists the duties of the executive council of the governorate:
- Following up the work which is entrusted to the executive machineries of the governorate, evaluating the level of the performance and the agreeable level of execution of the projects and services on the governorate level.
- Preparing the governorate budget and the distribution proposal of the credits allocated for investment, after approving them, on the local units.
- Assisting the governor in laying down the administrative and financial plans of the governorate and for putting decrees and recommendations issued by the LPC.
- Stating the rules which guarantee good progress of work in the administrative and executive bodies of the governorate.
- Stating general rules of managing and investing the lands within the scope of the governorate and its properties and disposal.